Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Marry me, Angelina

Ignorance indeed has it's merits sometimes. It affords you the sheer joy of discovering something for the first time. I saw Walk the Line recently. I had never heard a Johnny Cash (played brilliantly by Joaquin Phoenix) song before. And here was a man singing songs with lyrics which spoke to someone in me. Someone who I have been trying to bury deep inside. But the Tennessee Three with Mr. "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash" in his black suit just bulldozed across all my defenses. The image of a lovestruck self-destructing artiste was too close for comfort, but when June (Carter, played equally brilliantly by Reese Witherspoon) said "Yes" I felt so genuinely happy, I just wanted to stand up and sing at the top of my voice right then!

While coming back from the movie, in the car, I wrote the first four lines of a song. I tried singing it, even recorded a few lines and played them back, but I laughed so hard when I heard my-so-out-of-tune voice I couldn't bear to subject everybody to the same torture. If I manage to get my guitar chords in order one day, I'll put some music with it, but till then here are the words.


Marry Me, Angelina

Marry me, Angelina
Marry me, honey-dew,
Marry me, Angelina
I wrote this one for you.

I was single
I was clueless
I was walking down alone
You came along and you cast your spell
Now my heart is not my own.

Marry me, Angelina
Marry me, honey-dew,
Marry me, Angelina
Baby, please say, "I do."

I was mad
I was burning up
I was hearing voices in my head
You filled my world with dazzling light
Now I hear you in me, instead

Marry me, Angelina
Marry me, honey-dew,
Marry me, Angelina
I love no one else, but you.

I was lost
I was wandering
I had no lifelong thing to do
You became my road, my destination
Now I want a life with you.

Marry me, Angelina
Marry me, honey-dew,
Marry me, Angelina
I wrote this one for you.

6 comments:

  1. I have to see this movie now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you know what, when i meet you , i'll listen to your song first. and then i will KILL YOU, for telling me about a movie that i haven't seen.

    btw, why Angelina?

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful numbah...
    i'm gonna watch this movie sooon

    ReplyDelete
  4. @mirage: n do tell me how you find it!

    @sonia: Since you'll faint out of sheer shock when you hear me sing, I am in no danger! Besides I did not tell you anything about the story... in fact it is not a "story" film, you'll see... As to why Angelina, you do not expect me to give out all my secrets, do you? ;o)

    @swathi: Thanks! Hope you like the movie too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. dude..i didnt read your blogs...but your fav books are mine too..i thought nobody would have read Robert Kanigel's Ramanujan stuff..cool...and do read the one called 'The man who only loved numbers'..this is on Paul Erdos ( the O has an umlaut over it)..of course 'lust for life' has no words to praise...cheers man...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @raghu: Welcome to the blog. Glad to know you have read Ramanujan's biography... truly a fascinating read. I haven't read the book on Erdös (though I know who he is). Keep visiting!

    ReplyDelete