Saturday, February 19, 2005

Swades Hangover

I saw Swades. It was a good movie. I've been restless since. I do not know why? I remembered something I had read in Vivekananda's works once. I found it in an essay titled "Modern India." He says:


Thou brave one, be bold, take courage, be proud that thou art an Indian, and proudly proclaim, "I am an Indian, every Indian is my brother." Say, "The ignorant Indian, the poor and destitute Indian, the Brahmin Indian, the Pariah Indian, is my brother." Thou, too, clad with but a rag round thy loins proudly proclaim at the top of thy voice: "The Indian is my brother, the Indian is my life, India's gods and goddesses are my God. India's society is the cradle of my infancy, the pleasure - garden of my youth, the sacred heaven, the Varanasi of my old age." Say, brother; "The soil of India is my highest heaven, the good of India is my good," and repeat and pray day and night, "O Thou Lord of Gauri, O Thou Mother of the Universe, vouchsafe manliness unto me! O Thou Mother of Strength, take away my weakness, take away my unmanliness, and make me a Man!"*


I do not know my land. I do not know myself.

How can I hope to know the world, and her people?

I am still restless ...


*  If you have not read his works, I am requesting that you think before you comment on his sayings. However, no such requests before you comment on the post per se.

2 comments:

  1. its hard......
    its hadr to relate to everyone around you when so many new things are being thrown at you frmo every direction..
    i find it hard.. when i was in india.. protected and ignorant of anything beyond. things looked different... when i left .. things looked different again.. now that im back.. things look wierdly out of context and i find so many mixed feelings running thru me.. its hard to live up to the idealistic feelings of the people in the times of which you speak... for us .. in this age.. things are so wierdly mixed up..i dont know my land either. i dont know if i ever will really know myself.. and thats kinda scary for me..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to have you here.

    It is hard and it is scary. That sure is true. But it is also something which has to be done, by everyone, for themselves.

    To say "I love you" one must first be able to say the "I."
    I'll be able to say that one day.

    ReplyDelete